As families are preparing for the upcoming school year, now is the perfect time to discuss back to school safety.
Parents are encouraged to share the following safety tips with their children:
Safety at the bus stop:
- Identify a safe place to wait for the bus that is away from traffic and the street.
- Mind all traffic signals and/or the crossing guard when crossing the street.
- Know the travel routes to and from the bus stop and school.
- Make sure to always remain in clear view of the bus driver. Never walk behind the bus.
- Do not talk to strangers. Tell your parents if a stranger tries to talk to you.
- Never leave or get into a stranger’s vehicle.
Safety at school:
- Review and discuss the school’s emergency procedures with your children.
- Work together to make a plan for bullying – whether it happens to your child or if he or she sees it happening to someone else.
- Familiarize your student with Michigan’s Ok2Say program. Ok2Say allows students to confidentially report tips on criminal activities or potential harm directed at Michigan students, school employees or schools.
MSP Community eNewsletter: August